Re: [GENERAL] Would like to below scenario is possible for gettingpage/block corruption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Would like to below scenario is possible for gettingpage/block corruption
Date
List pgsql-general
(Please top-post that's annoying)

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Sreekanth Palluru <sree4pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I generalize that, if after step 4)  page ( new page or old page)  got
> written disk from buffer  and crash happens between step 4) and 5)  we
> always get
> block corruption issues with Postgres which can only be recovered by setting
> zero_damaged_pages if we just have pg_dump backups and we are OK lose data
> in the affected blocks?
>
> I am also looking at ways of reproducing the issue ? appreciate your advice
> on it ?

Postgres is designed to avoid such corruption problems if
full_page_writes and fsync are enabled, that's a base stone of its
reliability. If you can create a self-contained scenario able to
reproduce a failure, that could be treated as a Postgres bug, but you
are giving no evidence that this is the case.
--
Michael