Re: Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Improving test coverage of extensions with pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2015-09-16 22:18:55 -0700, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Problem is similar with --column-inserts, --inserts and COPY. We could
>> use --exclude-table like in the patch attached when taking the dump
>> from source database but that's grotty, or we could improve pg_dump
>> itself, though it may not be worth it for just this purpose.
>> Thoughts?
>
> Hm. To me that sounds like a moderately serious bug worth fixing. I mean
> if you have a COPY command that worked before a dump/restore but that's
> wrong afterwards, it's pretty ugly, no?

COPY or INSERT include the column list in dumps, so that's not really
an issue here, what is potentially a problem (looking at that freshly)
is --inserts with data-only dumps though. So yes we had better fix it
and perhaps consider a backpatch...
--
Michael