Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Michael Paquier wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 12:21 AM, Alvaro Herrera
>> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> > Hi, I just started looking this over a bit.  The first thing I noticed
>> > is that it adds a dependency on Archive::Tar which isn't already used
>> > anywhere else.  Did anybody check whether this exists back in 5.8
>> > installations?
>>
>> Actually I didn't and that's a good point, we have decided to support
>> TAP down to 5.8.9. The only reason why I introduced this dependency is
>> that there is no easy native way to copy an entire folder in perl, and
>> that's for handling base backups. There are things like File::NCopy of
>> File::Copy::Recursive however it does not seem like a good idea to
>> depend on other modules that IPC::Run. Would it be better to have an
>> in-core module dedicated to that similar to SimpleTee.pm? Or are you
>> guys fine to accept a dependency with another module?
>
> It would be a lot better to not have to rely on another module existing
> everywhere.  I'd rather have another simple module, following
> SimpleTee's example.  Since this doesn't have to be terribly generic, it
> should be reasonably short, I hope.

Sure, that would be a simple function that does directory lookup and
recursive calls. I'll move ahead with that then and reuse it in the
recovery logic.

>> > Why is "recovery" added to ALWAYS_SUBDIRS in src/test/Makefile instead
>> > of to SUBDIRS?  Seems a strange choice.
>>
>> Because I thought that it should not be part of the main regression
>> suite, like ssl/. Feel free to correct me if my feeling is wrong.
>
> As I understand, the problem with "ssl" is that it messes with
> system-wide settings, which is not the case here.  I'm inclined to move
> it to SUBDIRS.  As an example, "modules" is not part of the main
> regression suite either.

OK, I'll move it back to it then.
--
Michael