Re: pg_rewind and log messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_rewind and log messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I'm not sure about translation of generic strings such as "%s: %s".  My
> first impression is that they shouldn't be translated, but maybe it is
> important that they are for languages I don't know nothing about such as
> Japanese.

I misunderstood things here, pg_fatal and others should not use _()
directly for generic strings. It seems like an overkill.

> Another thing is compound messages like "foo has happened\nSee --help
> for usage.\n" and "bar didn't happen\.See --help for usage".  In those
> cases, the "see --help" part would need to be translated over and over,
> so it's best to separate them in phrases to avoid repetitive work for
> translators.  Not sure how to do this -- maybe something like
> _("foo has happened\n") _("See --help")
> but I'm not sure how to appease the compiler.  Having them in two
> separate pg_log() calls (or whatever) was handy for this reason.

OK, let's switch to two calls to pg_log or similar in those cases to
make the life of translators easier.
--
Michael