Re: pg_receivexlog and replication slots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_receivexlog and replication slots
Date
Re: pg_receivexlog and replication slots
List pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2014-10-03 14:02:08 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I do wonder whether --create/--drop aren't somewhat wierd for
> > pg_receivexlog. It's not that clear what it means. It'd be ugly, but we
> > could rename them --create-slot/drop-slot.
>
> +1 on doing it, -1 on it being ugly.

The reason I'm calling it uglyu is that it's different from
pg_recvlogical. We could change it there, too? A bit late, but probably
better than having a discrepancy forever
I'm on board to make things as consistent as possible between both utilities, the only reason why --create/--drop are used in my patch is for the sake of consistency btw. 9.4 ship has not sailed yet, and IMO it is important from the user prospective if options are a maximum consistent between pg_receivexlog and pg_recvlogical. That would be even better if change is done before 9.4beta3 shows up, and I doubt that there are many users using the --create/--drop options already.
And as I am on it, attached is a patch that can be applied to master and REL9_4_STABLE to rename the --create and --drop to --create-slot and --drop-slot.
Regards,
--
Michael
Attachment