Re: how many changes about backend mode from 7.2.2 to 8.4.0? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: how many changes about backend mode from 7.2.2 to 8.4.0?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:50 AM, 土卜皿 <pengcz.nwpu@gmail.com> wrote:
> NOTE: fedora 17 x86_64, 7.2.2 can not be compiled in the env, I choose 8.4.0
> because I think old version is easier to understand than newer version!
Are you aware that Postgres 7.2 has been released in 2002? It is EOL
(end-of-life) since 2005 by looking at the release notes.

> I want to study pg's external sort (in tuplesort.c )through 8.4.0's source
> code, and use ddd to do it, according to usingddd-postgres 's description:
If you are planning to do some development in the future with or for
Postgres, you would get a better insight by looking at more recent
code. Here are some guidelines for example to use git, which is really
helpful as a base infrastructure when studying the code:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_GIT

Hope this helps.
Regards,
--