Re: pg_reorg in core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_reorg in core?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndquadrant.fr> wrote:
> For me, the Postgres user interface should include
> * REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
> * CLUSTER CONCURRENTLY
> * ALTER TABLE CONCURRENTLY
> and also that autovacuum would be expanded to include REINDEX and
> CLUSTER, renaming it to automaint.

FWIW, +1 to all those user requirements, and for not having pg_reorg
simply moved as-is nearer to core. I would paint the shed "autoheal",
maybe.
Yes, completely agreed.
Based on what Simon is suggesting, REINDEX and CLUSTER extensions
are prerequisites for autovacuum extension. It would need to use a mechanism
that it slightly different than pg_reorg. ALTER TABLE could used something close
to pg_reorg by creating a new table then swaping the 2 tables. The cases of column
drop and addition particularly need some thoughts.

I would like to work on such features and provide patches for the 2 first. This will of
course strongly depend on the time I can spend on in the next couple of months.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com