Re: About xmllint checking for the validity of postgres.xml in 9.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: About xmllint checking for the validity of postgres.xml in 9.5
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since commit 5d93ce2d, the output of xmllint is checked by passing
> --valid to it. Isn't that a regression with what we were doing for
> pre-9.4 versions? For example, with 9.4 and older versions it is
> possible to compile man pages even if the xml spec is not entirely
> valid when using docbook 4.2.

Another thing coming to my mind is why don't we simply have a variable
to pass flags to xmllint similarly to xsltproc? Packagers would be
then free to pass the arguments they want. (Note that in some of the
environments where I build the docs postgres.xml is found as invalid,
making build fail for master only, not for older branches).

In any case, attached is a patch showing the idea, bringing more
flexibility in the build, default value being "--valid --noout" if the
flag is not passed by the caller.
Regards,
--
Michael