Re: pg_rewind test race condition..? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_rewind test race condition..?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Another thought would be to provide an option to pg_rewind to have it do
> an explicit checkpoint before it reads the control file..  I'm not
> against having it simply always do it as I don't see pg_rewind being a
> commonly run thing, but I know some environments have very heavy
> checkpoints and that might not be ideal.

Waking an old thread. It seems to me that such an option would still
be useful when rewinding using a stream so as an inconsistent control
file is not read. The default should definitely be to not issue this
checkpoint, but in some environments I believe that this could really
matter, say two failovers followed by two rewinds done consequently.
Thoughts?
--
Michael