Re: Accessing structured datatypes using libpq - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Accessing structured datatypes using libpq
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Raimo Jormakka
<raimo.jormakka@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 6/10/2014 11:20 PM, Raimo Jormakka wrote:
>>>

>>> What is the recommended way of accessing structured data-types
>>> (especially JSONB and HSTORE) using libpq? It seems that by default JSONB
>>> data for example is returned as text.
>>>
>>> Is it not possible to have binary access to these data-types? If it is
>>> possible, then how do I do it exactly as the only thing I get from libpq is
>>> a void-pointer?
>>

>> those are text data types.   there is no binary representations.
>

> Can someone elaborate this a bit? Isn't the key distinction between the
> JSONB and JSON data-types the fact that the former is a binary format while
> the latter one is text-based?
Internally yes, representation of those data types on disk is
different. However the output result, the one obtained by libpq or any
client is similar in appearance.
--
Michael