Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory
Date
Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 27.03.2013 13:47, Simon Riggs wrote:
Allow external recovery_config_directory
If required, recovery.conf can now be located outside of the data directory.
Server needs read/write permissions on this directory.

This was a surprising commit. Does this get us any closer to merging postgresql.conf and recovery.conf?
At first glance, I am not sure this goes in the right direction. Why is it necessary to add a GUC parameter for that?
In the patch I sent based on Masao's first version, if we merge of postgresql.conf and recovery.conf, users will be encouraged to migrate to the new system by including recovery.conf or a file containing recovery parameters using include_path or include_if_exists, so you shouldn't need a new parameter to include recovery.conf. I have the feeling that this complicates even more the settings.
Also, based on Greg's spec (that Robert and I basically agreed on), if recovery.conf is found at the root of data folder an error is returned to user, recommending him to migrate correctly by referring to dedicated documentation.
--
Michael