Re: Backup Database Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Cornett
Subject Re: Backup Database Question
Date
List pgsql-general
I have a little bash script that is called by cron to make a backup of the db, as well as being able to pull a copy of our production db to my local machine for development.

It requires that you have a .pgpass file setup to connect to your database without entering a password.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Carlos Mennens <carlos.mennens@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Use pg_dumpall.  The extra time to dump the user and database
> definitions is unlikely to be noticeable, and if push comes to shove
> you'll be glad you had them.

Yes I agree but I didn't know enough about PostgreSQL to make that
determination. Seems very logical however. Does anyone know of a
PostgreSQL backup script floating around the Internet for Linux
systems? I found a great one for MySQL but sadly that doesn't do me
any good.