Re: Explicitly adding a table to a schema. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Cornett
Subject Re: Explicitly adding a table to a schema.
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Demitri Muna <thatsanicehatyouhave@mac.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Nov 4, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Adam Cornett wrote:

> You can use ALTER TABLE (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-altertable.html) to set the schema of existing tables:
> ALTER TABLE foo SET SCHEMA bar

Thanks. I did try that, but that command moves the table to a different schema, which is not what I'm trying to do. It struck me to try to move it to another schema (where the definition then explicitly included the schema prefix) and then move it back, but it still doesn't have the schema prefix.

Cheers,
Demitri

What you might be looking for then is the "search_path" http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PATH
when you specify an unqualified table, Postgres uses the search path to look for it, and when creating tables, unqualified tables go into 'public' which is the default search path.

I'm not sure if you get pgadmin to add "public" to the create table statements, pg_dump might though.

-Adam