Re: Max column number. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Miguel Angel Conte
Subject Re: Max column number.
Date
List pgsql-sql

I can't drop the table. I have to add as many columns as posible and when I exceed the limit I have to create another table.

I've tried normalizing but then the join's cost is too big. I always need to use all columns, so getting a all information into a single row it's the most efficient solution.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Miguel Angel Conte <diafano@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for your interest. This app load scv files which change every day
> (sometimes the columns too). The sizes of these files are in avg 15MB. So,
> We load something like 100MB each day. We tried to find a better solution
> but we couldn't, becouse one of the our requirement is not to use a lot of
> space. Also, the app is used to consult these information, and for our
> particular type of select's queries, we get the best performance if the
> information is all into a same row.

This definitely sounds like a job for something like hstore.

Also, can you drop and recreate the table every so often?  That would
certainly help.