Re: BUG #11603: replication, pg_basebackup and high load - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michiel Lange
Subject Re: BUG #11603: replication, pg_basebackup and high load
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Indeed, the idea of using slots is to prevent the master from recycling the
WAL too early.
The ephemeral slots might be the/a solution; the small window should be
enough (depending on the definition of 'small', but that would depend on
the load, I guess)

I guess the use of replication slots is a great way to work with this, and
I'm really happy to have seen it appear. It provides the solution to many
of the issues I was still trying to work around. This is just 'it'.
However, I think creating replication slots should also allow ways to
delete those slots. I've been looking at that feature "select * from
delete_replication_slot('slot_name'); :-) Or resetting, to tell the master
that, based on this replication slot's informatin the master could cycle
it's wal segments. I've not come around to search for solutions in that
direction yet.

What I do, is create the slot up front; I didn't think about connecting to
that slot before the backup starts, just because there WAL segment to
receive would be way ahead of where the new slave  database actually is :-)

How about that solution provided earlier: when pg_basebackup starts, it
marks itself on the master to keep the wal segments and uses the slot
provided as parameter on the replication slot parameter. Something like
this: pg_basebackup <all those other params> --use-slot='slot_name'; Once
the slave starts it will use the given slot, and the wal segments are still
there.

Still I think this new feature is a huge step forward, and I follow it with
great interest.

--
"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer