Re: Infinite Interval - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joseph Koshakow
Subject Re: Infinite Interval
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 5:36 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>    Joseph Koshakow <koshy44@gmail.com> writes:
>    > I've attached a patch with these changes that is meant to be applied
>    > over the previous three patches. Let me know what you think.
>
>    Does not really seem like an improvement to me --- I think it's
>    adding more complexity than it removes.  The changes in CONTEXT
>    messages are definitely not an improvement; you might as well
>    not have the context messages at all as give misleading ones.
>    (Those context messages are added by the previous patches, no?
>    They do not really seem per project style, and I'm not sure
>    that they are helpful.)

Yes they were added in the previous patch,
v17-0003-Add-infinite-interval-values.patch. I also had the following
note about them.

>    I've added an errcontext to all the errors of the form "X out of
>    range". My one concern is that some of the messages can be slightly
>    confusing. For example date arithmetic is converted to timestamp
>    arithmetic, so the errcontext talks about timestamps even though the
>    actual operation used dates. For example,
>
>    SELECT date 'infinity' + interval '-infinity';
>    ERROR:  interval out of range
>    CONTEXT:  while adding an interval and timestamp

I would be OK with removing all of the context messages or maybe only
keeping a select few, like the ones in interval_um.

How do you feel about redefining interval_mi in terms of interval_um
and interval_pl? That one felt like an improvement to me even outside
of the context of this change.

Thanks,
Joe Koshakow