Re: Selecting tables from Browser - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Robert Eckhardt
Subject Re: Selecting tables from Browser
Date
List pgadmin-hackers

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Shirley Wang <swang@pivotal.io> wrote:
Hi Rob
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM Robert Eckhardt <reckhardt@pivotal.io> wrote:
Shirley,

I have a few questions.
  1. Why 20. It is a dunbar number and seems smallish but is there another reason?
The browser fits about 30 ish items right now on my smallish laptop screen. The question we asked ourselves is 'what is the most content we can show before the browser gets unwieldy?'

You have thoughts on this?

No thought better than 20. I was thinking a few hand full or a large enough number to cause performance issues.

  1. Since this is referred to as an Object Manager I assume the same thing will eventually be available for databases, schema, partitions, etc. How do permissions work currently to limit m view of these objects? (or do they)

Good point about the name implying further reach than just tables. We're going to change the dialog header to show 'Select tables for display', at least until we decide we want to include databases, schema, partitions.

I'm not sure how permissions works to limit the view, our assumption is that permissions does though.

Dave P do you have more insight on what permissions can limit?
  1. Do you think that this would look differently if you assumptions were based on a user who writes BI reports or some other non-DBA user?
Potentially, as you mentioned off the email thread, a DBA would be interested in a larger list of tables than someone who writes BI reports.

That said, since this is a problem we hear from DBAs, and they feel the most pain around this, I think it's fine to focus on solving the problem for them. Solving their pains will also address the pains of people who write BI reports since they also feel the same issues at a lesser intensity

We will be testing with non-DBA users though too.

I'm mostly curious about this because I only really know how I interacted with a DB in both roles.

-- Rob