Re: Removing INNER JOINs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Removing INNER JOINs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1 December 2014 at 06:51, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> I see this is quite a fundamental change to how things currently work and
> it could cause planning to take place during the execution of PREPAREd
> statements, which might not impress people too much, but it would certainly
> fix the weird anomalies that I'm currently facing by trimming the plan at
> executor startup. e.g left over Sort nodes after a MergeJoin was removed.

> It would be interesting to hear Tom's opinion on this.

Another question is what effect this has on EXPLAIN; there's basically
no way you can avoid lying to the user about what's going to happen at
runtime.

One of us must be missing something here. As far as I see it, there are no lies told, the EXPLAIN shows exactly the plan that will be executed. All of the regression tests I've added rely on this.

Regards

David Rowley