Re: bad JIT decision - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Rowley
Subject Re: bad JIT decision
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 09:28, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> FWIW, I created a demo workload for this, and repro'ed the issue with
> that. Those improvements does make a very significant difference:

> Before:
>     Timing: Generation 335.345 ms, Inlining 51.025 ms, Optimization 11967.776 ms, Emission 9201.499 ms, Total
21555.645ms

>     IR size: unoptimized: 9022868 bytes, optimized: 6206368 bytes
>
> After:
>     Timing: Generation 261.283 ms, Inlining 30.875 ms, Optimization 1671.969 ms, Emission 18.557 ms, Total 1982.683
ms
>     IR size: unoptimized 8776100 bytes, optimized 115868 bytes

That's a really impressive speedup.  However, no matter how fast we
make the compilation, it's still most likely to be a waste of time
doing it for plan nodes that are just not that costly.

I just wrote a patch to consider JIT on a per-plan-node basis instead
of globally over the entire plan. I'll post it to -hackers.

With a 1000 partition table where all of the cost is on just 1
partition, running a query that hits all partitions, I see:

Master jit=on:
 JIT:
   Functions: 3002
   Timing: Generation 141.587 ms, Inlining 11.760 ms, Optimization
6518.664 ms, Emission 3152.266 ms, Total 9824.277 ms
 Execution Time: 12588.292 ms

Master jit=off:
 Execution Time: 3672.391 ms

Patched jit=on:
 JIT:
   Functions: 5
   Timing: Generation 0.675 ms, Inlining 3.322 ms, Optimization 10.766
ms, Emission 5.892 ms, Total 20.655 ms
 Execution Time: 2754.160 ms

Most likely the EXPLAIN output will need to do something more than
show true/false for the options here, but I didn't want to go to too
much trouble unless this is seen as a good direction to go in.

> That obviously needs to be improved further, but it's already a lot
> better. In particular after these changes the generated code could be
> cached.

That would be a game-changer.

David