Re: Questions regarding distinct operation implementation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Questions regarding distinct operation implementation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 at 06:57, Ankit Kumar Pandey <itsankitkp@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please let me know any opinions on this.

I think if you're planning on working on this then step 1 would have
to be checking the SQL standard to see which set of rows it asks
implementations to consider for duplicate checks when deciding if the
transition should be performed or not.  Having not looked, I don't
know if this is the entire partition or just the rows in the current
frame.

Depending on what you want, an alternative today would be to run a
subquery to uniquify the rows the way you want and then do the window
function stuff.

David