Re: call popcount32/64 directly on non-x86 platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: call popcount32/64 directly on non-x86 platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 at 05:11, John Naylor <john.naylor@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> 0001 moves some declarations around so that "slow" popcount functions are called directly on non-x86 platforms.

I was wondering if there was a reason that you didn't implement this
by just changing pg_popcount32 and pg_popcount64 to be actual
functions rather than function pointers when TRY_POPCNT_FAST is not
defined? These functions would then just return
pg_popcountNN_slow(word);

This would save from having to change all the current callers of the
functions to use the macro instead.  That might be nice for any
extensions which are using these functions.

David