Re: Speeding up ruleutils' name de-duplication code, redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Speeding up ruleutils' name de-duplication code, redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 11 Sept 2024 at 03:06, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> We could accomplish what you suggest by re-ordering the calls so that
> we build the hash table before enlarging the array.  0001 attached
> is the same as before (modulo line number changes from being rebased
> up to HEAD) and then 0002 implements this idea on top.  On the whole
> though I find 0002 fairly ugly and would prefer to stick to 0001.
> I really doubt that scanning any newly-created column positions is
> going to take long enough to justify intertwining things like this.

I'm fine with that.  I did test the performance with and without
v2-0002 and the performance is just a little too noisy to tell. Both
runs I did with v2-0002, it was slower, so I agree it's not worth
making the code uglier for.

I've no more comments. Looks good.

David