Re: Make printtup a bit faster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Make printtup a bit faster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 at 12:10, Andy Fan <zhihuifan1213@163.com> wrote:
> What would be the extra benefit we redesign all the out functions?

If I've understood your proposal correctly, it sounds like you want to
invent a new "print" output function for each type to output the Datum
onto a StringInfo, if that's the case, what would be the point of
having both versions? If there's anywhere we call output functions
where the resulting value isn't directly appended to a StringInfo,
then we could just use a temporary StringInfo to obtain the cstring
and its length.

David