Re: Planner misestimation for JOIN with VARCHAR - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Planner misestimation for JOIN with VARCHAR
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 09:05, Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> wrote:

>> the join selectivity functions have yet to learn about extended statistics.
>

> That is very interesting to me. So, extended statistics would help to properly estimate the result set coming out of
asingle table when comparing each of those columns to one or many values, but not when joining up another table? Is
thaton a roadmap or in progress as far as you know?

Yeah, they're currently only used for selectivity estimates on base
table.  Using extended statistics for join selectivity estimation is
being worked on [1], so there's a chance that it may happen for PG14.

David