Re: Hybrid Hash/Nested Loop joins and caching results from subplans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Hybrid Hash/Nested Loop joins and caching results from subplans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for chipping in here.

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 17:57, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder what it would take to overcome the overheads of the separate
> Result Cache node, with techniques to step out of the way or something
> like that.

So far it looks like there are more overheads to having the caching
done inside nodeNestloop.c. See [1].  Perhaps there's something that
can be done to optimise away the needless MinimalTuple deform that I
mentioned there, but for now, performance-wise, we're better off
having a separate node.

David

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvo2acQSogMCa3hB7moRntXWHO8G+WSwhyty2+c8vYRq3A@mail.gmail.com