Re: BUG #17855: Uninitialised memory used when the name type value processed in binary mode of Memoize - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From David Rowley
Subject Re: BUG #17855: Uninitialised memory used when the name type value processed in binary mode of Memoize
Date
Re: BUG #17855: Uninitialised memory used when the name type value processed in binary mode of Memoize  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 23 Mar 2023 at 16:25, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
> Have you seen the comments about the cstring/name_ops hack mentioning
> a SIGSEGV in btrescan()? Those were added around the time index-only
> scans first went in.

I'd not seen it. That's a bit disappointing. Is all this just to work
around not having to store the full 64 bytes for a name in indexes?

Seems it there are a few hacks that try to make this work.  I wonder
if we should just invent new hacks in the form of a new version of
datum_image_eq that accepts a pointer to a FormData_pg_attribute
instead of typByVal and typLen then just special case NAMEOID types to
always compare as cstrings. Same for datum_image_hash().

David