Re: Increase value of OUTER_VAR - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Increase value of OUTER_VAR
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 at 06:23, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> So I'm inclined to propose pushing this and seeing what happens.

Is this really sane?

As much as I would like to see the 65k limit removed, I just have
reservations about fixing it in this way.  Even if we get all the
cases fixed in core, there's likely a whole bunch of extensions
that'll have bugs as a result of this for many years to come.

"git grep \sIndex\s -- *.[ch] | wc -l" is showing me 77 matches in the
Citus code.  That's not the only extension that uses the planner hook.

I'm really just not sure it's worth all the dev hours fixing the
fallout.  To me, it seems much safer to jump bump 65k up to 1m. It'll
be a while before anyone complains about that.

It's also not that great to see the number of locations that you
needed to add run-time checks for negative varnos. That's not going to
come for free.

David