pgAdmin 4 User Interface - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Caughey
Subject pgAdmin 4 User Interface
Date
List pgadmin-support
Currently, when I launch pgAdmin, it takes 15 clicks to get to the table I'm interested in. (7 double clicks + 1 selection)

This could be drastically reduced without changing the interface, i.e.,

1. When pgAdmin first opens, there's no reason for the "Servers" item in the tree to be collapsed.  It should start expanded.
2. There should always be a UI policy of expanding tree nodes until a choice is required by the user.  E.g., Under "File" | "Preferences" | "Browser" | "Nodes" I have turned off most of the items.  This means that for a particular database, there is only one child ("Schemas"), and under that there is only one child ("Public"), and under that there is only one child ("Tables").   So when clicking on the one of my databases, I shouldn't also have to then double-click on "Schemas" and then double-click on "Public" and then double-click on "Tables"... they should all open until I have to pick which Table to enter.  This behaviour has been part of user-interface guidelines since Windows 95 (I believe).
3. Optionally, you could also apply the same strategy if you only have one server listed, but I can understand that because a connection to a server actually impacts the serve, maybe you still want the user to expressing have to open this item... but if not, that would be even more savings.

Doing this would reduce the number of clicks required to get to where one needs to be from 15 clicks to 5 clicks (or just 3 clicks if you implement #3) with NO CHANGE to the way you present the information... All you have to do is tweak the tree node open handler to count how many children it has, and potentially re-call open/expand on the single child.

Yes, I realize that if I click on the tiny "+", I can get away with doing a single click, but positioning the mouse that precisely is actually more work than double-clicking.

Thanks,
Dave