Re: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION fails with long passwords - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Paul Mansueto Namuag
Subject Re: CREATE SUBSCRIPTION fails with long passwords
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Possibly the password might have non-ascii or something causing it to unmatched but when stripped off, that non-ascii wasn't included. I'm curious if you try to have passwords Mike with 108 chars for which chars are of [0-9] and [a-zA-Z] strings.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 5:19 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 10:07:45AM -0700, Mike Lissner wrote:
>   This made me a bit crazy tonight. Steps to reproduce:
>   1. Create a new role and give it a really long password. Ours was 108
>   chars.
>   2. Set up all the necessary replication permissions/roles.
>   3. From another computer, try to connect as that user using psql — it
>   works!
>   4. Now try a CREATE SUBSCRIPTION command like:
>   create subscription my_sub connection 'host=192.168.0.111 port=5432
>   user=the_new_user password=long_password dbname=my_db sslmode=require'
>   publication new_server;
>   You'll get the following error:
>   ERROR:  could not connect to the publisher: FATAL:  password
>   authentication failed for user "the_new_user"
>   Now, go back and shorten that password, and try again. You'll get:
>   create subscription my_sub connection 'host=192.168.0.111 port=5432
>   user=the_new_user password=long_password dbname=my_db sslmode=require'
>   publication new_server;
>   NOTICE:  created replication slot "my_sub" on publisher
>   CREATE SUBSCRIPTION
>
>   And it'll be off to the races. I watched the logs on both servers during
>   these experiments. Nothing much in there, aside from the logs above.
>   Is this known functionality? Seems like a nasty bug and it took me a while
>   to figure it out.

I've tried to reproduce this on a master, and it works for me (with 200
char passwords). Which version have you used? Can you share an actual
example of commands creating the role/subscription that triggers the
failure, including the password value?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com