Re: Early Sort/Group resjunk column elimination. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Coleman
Subject Re: Early Sort/Group resjunk column elimination.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 10:19 AM Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is any interest in working to reduce the usage
> and propagation of resjunk columns in the planner.
>
> I think this topic is worth investigating, because most of the time when we
> request a sorted path without ever needing the sort key afterwards, we still
> carry the sort key to the final tuple, where the JunkFilter will finally get rid
> of it.
>
> Rationale
> ========
>
> This would allow several optimizations.
>
> 1) Index not needing to output the column
>
> This one was mentioned as far back as 2009 [1]  and is still relevant today.
> If we query SELECT a FROM t1 ORDER BY b; and we have an index, on b, we
> shouldn't output b at all since we don't need it in the upper nodes. This
> might not look like a huge problem by itself, but as noted in [1] it becomes
> very expensive in the case of a functional index. This is alleviated for
> IndexOnlyScan because it is capable of fetching the value from the index
> itself, but it is still a problem.
>
> Take this query as an example:
>
> regression=# explain (verbose) select two from tenk2 order by hundred;
>                                        QUERY PLAN
>  Index Scan using tenk2_hundred on public.tenk2  (cost=0.29..1574.20
> rows=10000 width=8)
>    Output: two, hundred
> (2 rows)
>

> We should be able to transform it into:
>
> regression=# explain (verbose) select two from tenk2 order by hundred;
>                                        QUERY PLAN
>  Index Scan using tenk2_hundred on public.tenk2  (cost=0.29..1574.20
> rows=10000 width=4)
>    Output: two
> (2 rows)
>

> 2) Other nodes
>
> Other nodes might benefit from it, for exemple in FDW. Right now the sort key
> is always returned from the underlying FDW, but if the data can be sorted that
> could be a net win.
>
> 3) Incremental Sort
>
> While working on the patch to allow Sort nodes to use the datumOnly
> optimization, a suggestion came up to also use it in the IncrementalSort. This
> is not possible today because even if we don't need the previously-sorted
> columns anymore, we still need to output them as resjunk columns.
>
> 4) Narrower tuples in dynamic shared memory.
>
> DSM bandwidth is quite expensive, so if we can avoid exchanging some
> attributes here it could be a net win.
>

> Proposal
> =======
>
> I've been trying to test this idea using a very simple approach. If that is of
> interest, I can clean up my branch and post a simple patch to discuss
> specifics, but I'd like to keep a high level discussion first.
>
> The idea would be to:
>   - "tag" resjunk TargetEntries according to why they were added. So a column
> added as sort group clause would be tagged as such, and be recognisable
> [...]

Thanks for hacking on this; as you're not surprised given I made the
original suggestion, I'm particularly interested in this for
incremental sort benefits, but I find the other examples you gave
compelling also.

Of course I haven't seen code yet, but my first intuition is to try to
avoid adding extra nodes and teach the (hopefully few) relevant nodes
to remove the resjunk entries themselves. Presumably in this case that
would mostly be the sort nodes (including gather merge).

One thing to pay attention to here is that we can't necessarily remove
resjunk entries every time in a sort node since, for example, in
parallel mode the gather merge node above it will need those entries
to complete the sort.

I'm interested to see what you're working on with a patch.

Thanks,
James Coleman