Re: Incremental sorts and EXEC_FLAG_REWIND - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Coleman
Subject Re: Incremental sorts and EXEC_FLAG_REWIND
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:02 AM James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 2:53 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > When initializing an incremental sort node, we have the following as
> > of ExecInitIncrementalSort():
> >     /*
> >      * Incremental sort can't be used with either EXEC_FLAG_REWIND,
> >      * EXEC_FLAG_BACKWARD or EXEC_FLAG_MARK, because we only one of many sort
> >      * batches in the current sort state.
> >      */
> >      Assert((eflags & (EXEC_FLAG_BACKWARD |
> >                        EXEC_FLAG_MARK)) == 0);
> > While I don't quite follow why EXEC_FLAG_REWIND should be allowed here
> > to begin with (because incremental sorts don't support rescans without
> > parameter changes, right?), the comment and the assertion are telling
> > a different story.
>
> I remember changing this assertion in response to an issue I'd found
> which led to rewriting the rescan implementation, but I must have
> missed updating the comment.

All right, here are the most relevant messages:

[1]: Here I'd said:
----------
While working on finding a test case to show rescan isn't implemented
properly yet, I came across a bug. At the top of
ExecInitIncrementalSort, we assert that eflags does not contain
EXEC_FLAG_REWIND. But the following query (with merge and hash joins
disabled) breaks that assertion:

select * from t join (select * from t order by a, b) s on s.a = t.a
where t.a in (1,2);

The comments about this flag in src/include/executor/executor.h say:

* REWIND indicates that the plan node should try to efficiently support
* rescans without parameter changes. (Nodes must support ExecReScan calls
* in any case, but if this flag was not given, they are at liberty to do it
* through complete recalculation. Note that a parameter change forces a
* full recalculation in any case.)

Now we know that except in rare cases (as just discussed recently up
thread) we can't implement rescan efficiently.

So is this a planner bug (i.e., should we try not to generate
incremental sort plans that require efficient rewind)? Or can we just
remove that part of the assertion and know that we'll implement the
rescan, albeit inefficiently? We already explicitly declare that we
don't support backwards scanning, but I don't see a way to declare the
same for rewind.
----------

So it seems to me that we can't disallow REWIND, and we have to
support rescan, but, we could try to mitigate the effects (without a
param change) with a materialize node, as noted below.

[2]: Here, in response to my questioning above if this was a planner
bug, I'd said:
----------
Other nodes seem to get a materialization node placed above them to
support this case "better". Is that something we should be doing?
----------

I never got any reply on this point; if we _did_ introduce a
materialize node here, then it would mean we could start disallowing
REWIND again. See the email for full details of a specific plan that I
encountered that reproduced this.

Thoughts?

> In the meantime, your question is primarily about making sure the
> code/comments/etc. are consistent and not a behavioral problem or
> failure you've seen in testing?

Still want to confirm this is the case.

James

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAaqYe9%2Bap2SbU_E2WaC4F9ZMF4oa%3DpJZ1NBwaKDMP6GFUA77g%40mail.gmail.com