Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Coleman
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
James Coleman <jtc331@gmail.com> writes:
> So just to confirm I understand, that implies that the issue is solely that
> only the utf8 tr_TR set is installed by default on this machine, and the
> iso-8859-9 set is a hard requirement (that is, the test is explicitly
> testing a codepath that generates utf8 results from a non-utf8 source)?

It's not "explicitly" testing that; the fact that "tr_TR" is treated
as "tr_TR.iso88599" is surely an implementation artifact.  (On macOS,
some experimentation shows that "tr_TR" is treated as "tr_TR.UTF-8".)
But yeah, I think it's intentional that we want the codeset translation
path to be exercised here on at least some platforms.

I idly wonder if there could/should be some tests for the implicit case, some explicitly testing the codeset translation (if possible), and some testing the explicit utf8 case...but I don't know enough about this area to push for anything.

> If in fact Ubuntu doesn't install this locale by default, then is this a
> caveat we should add to developer docs somewhere? It seems odd to me that
> I'd be the only one encountering it, but OTOH I would have thought this a
> fairly vanilla install too...

Not sure.  The lack of prior complaints points to this not being a
common situation.  It does seem weird that they'd set things up so
that "tr_TR.utf8" exists but not "tr_TR"; even if that's not an
outright packaging mistake, it seems like a POLA violation from here.

                        regards, tom lane

All right. I downloaded an Ubuntu 18.04.3 server VM from OSBoxes, and it had very few locales installed by default...so that wasn't all that helpful.

I think at this point I'll just leave this as a mystery, much as I hate that.

James