Re: BUG #16956: psql won't load command history - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robin Knipe
Subject Re: BUG #16956: psql won't load command history
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply. I think those _HiStOrY_V2_ entries are just the start of the saved session, so the multiples there signify empty sessions, where I've started a session, checked for history (by pressing up arrow) and then exited again without entering any commands. I'll see if I can report the bug to `libedit`...

Thanks,

Robin.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 17:04, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Running the `psql` command from docker (postgres:12-alpine), fails to load
> the `.psql_history` command contents. Strangely, the session's commands ARE
> SAVED though! Also I can read the history contents in the psql session, as
> the following raw output shows:
> ```
> levqa=> \echo `echo $PSQL_HISTORY`
> /.psql_history
> levqa=> \echo `tail $PSQL_HISTORY`
> _HiStOrY_V2_
> _HiStOrY_V2_
> _HiStOrY_V2_
> _HiStOrY_V2_
> echo\040HISTCONTROL\012;
> `echo\040HISTCONTROL`\012;
> \134echo\040:HISTCONTROL
> \134echo\040:HISTFILE
> \134set\040HISTFILE\040/.psql_history
> \134echo\040:HISTFILE
> levqa=>
> ```

No concrete ideas to offer, but I'm pretty sure that that history-file
format is only supposed to have one "_HiStOrY_V2_" marker line at the
start.  Maybe getting rid of the extras would de-confuse it.

Anyway, none of Postgres' own code touches that file.  If there's a
bug here, it's in libedit.

                        regards, tom lane