Re: BUG #7486: Error Group by - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: BUG #7486: Error Group by
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM,  <andersonabreu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      7486
> Logged by:          Anderson Abreu
> Email address:      andersonabreu@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.12
> Operating system:   Linux
>
> Dear,
>
> I'm test the script, for example: select attA, attB from table1 group by
> attA.
>
> In postgre 8.4.X show error column attB must appear in the GROUP BY clause
> or be used in an aggregate function.
>
> But, in postgre 9.1.X the query running sucesfully.
>
> Why?

attA is probably a primary key, is that the case?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/release-9-1.html#AEN107670

"Allow non-GROUP BY columns in the query target list when the primary
key is specified in the GROUP BY clause (Peter Eisentraut)

The SQL standard allows this behavior, and because of the primary key,
the result is unambiguous."

--
fdr