Re: Unarchived WALs deleted after crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: Unarchived WALs deleted after crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
<jgdr@dalibo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing an unexpected behavior on a 9.2.2 cluster that I can
> reproduce on current HEAD.
>
> On a cluster with archive enabled but failing, after a crash of
> postmaster, the checkpoint occurring before leaving the recovery mode
> deletes any additional WALs, even those waiting to be archived.

I believe I have encountered this recently, but didn't get enough
chance to work with it to correspond.  For me, the cause was
out-of-disk on the file system that exclusively contained WAL,
backlogged because archiving fell behind writing.  This causes the
cluster to crash -- par for the course -- but also an archive gap was
created.  At the time I thought there was some kind of bug in dealing
with out of space issues in the archiver (the .ready bookkeeping), but
the symptoms I saw seem like they might be explained by your report,
too.

--
fdr