Modeling Friendship Relationships - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert DiFalco
Subject Modeling Friendship Relationships
Date
Re: Modeling Friendship Relationships  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
Re: Modeling Friendship Relationships  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
Re: Modeling Friendship Relationships  (Jonathan Vanasco <postgres@2xlp.com>)
Re: Modeling Friendship Relationships  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a question about modeling a mutual relationship. It seems basic but I can't decide, maybe it is 6 of one a half dozen of the other.

In my system any user might be friends with another user, that means they have a reciprocal friend relationship.

It seems I have two choices for modeling it.

1. I have a table with two columns userOne and userTwo. If John is friends with Jane there will be one row for both of them.
2. I have a table with two columns owner and friend. If John is friends with Jane there will be two rows, one that is {John, Jane} and another {Jane, John}.

The first option has the advantage of saving table size. But queries are more complex because to get John's friends I have to JOIN friends f ON  f.userA = "John" OR f.userB = "John" (not the real query, these would be id's but you get the idea).

In the second option the table rows would be 2x but the queries would be simpler -- JOIN friends f ON f.owner = "John".

There could be >1M users. Each user would have <200 friends.

Thoughts? Do I just choose one or is there a clear winner? TIA!