Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joseph Kregloh
Subject Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, the port numbers are correct. Both instances start by themselves on their own jails.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/19/2013 08:34 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade from 9.0.14 to 9.3. I am using the pg_upgrade
utility. I need to use pg_upgrade because my production database is
800GB+ and with over 80 tablespaces and doing an export from 9.0 and
importing to 9.3 would take at least 2 days.

Currently I am testing on the development database which is only 100GB
with a same number of tablespaces. I am working on FreeBSD with jails.
So one jail contains 9.0 and the other 9.3. In the 93 jail I mount the
data and binary directories for the 9.0 jail.

Here is the command to check:
pg_upgrade -b /home/jkregloh/pg_bin/ -B /usr/local/bin/
-d /home/jkregloh/pg_data/ -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/ -p 5452 -P 5451 -c

The only thing I have is,  are the port numbers correct?  I tend to use larger numbers for newer versions which, is why I am asking.

As you can see the data and binary files for 9.0 are in
/home/jkregloh/pg_bin/ and /home/jkregloh/pg_data/, while the 9.3
resides in the default location.

When running the check it reports that both clusters are compatible.
Once the actual process starts it will work fine until it starts up the
9.3 to copy data over. The problem that I am having is that pg_upgrade
is creating the 93XXXX files under the old directory and not the new
one. So when 9.3 goes to import it doesn't find anything.

Now, both versions can't share the same /data directory for obvious
reasons. Is there any way to make pg_upgrade actually export the new 9.3
files into the 9.3 directory supplied in the pg_upgrade command? I am
also open to any other upgrade ideas.

Thanks,
Joseph

--