Re: Database Design: Maintain Audit Trail of Changes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stevo Slavić
Subject Re: Database Design: Maintain Audit Trail of Changes
Date
List pgsql-general
In Java world, for this purpose I tend to use JPA/Hibernate with Envers http://www.jboss.org/envers - db vendor agnostic solution.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 4/01/2013 12:09 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 07:38 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

>>    The middleware of the application needs to check this table when data
>> are
>> to be viewed in the UI and present only the current row contents. A
>> separate
>> view would display a history of changes for that row.
>>
>>    All thoughts, suggestions, and recommendations based on your
>> expertise and
>> experience will be most welcome.
>
> As a matter of course I include fields to record the timestamp and
> user for insert of records and last update of record on my tables.
>
> For a relatively simple solution see this blog post I put up this summer:
>
> http://aklaver.org/wordpress/2012/06/23/postgres-and-hstore/
>
> I have since expanded that to include updates by using TG_OP to
> determine the operation being done on the table.
>
> There is also pg_audit
> :
> https://github.com/jcasanov/pg_audit

Additionally, this is an audit trigger I was using internally and
generalized:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Audit_trigger_91plus