Re: Schema version management - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Jacobson
Subject Re: Schema version management
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Agreed.

However I am also against what seems to be the flow.  Normally, you
don't write overloaded plpgsql functions such as "equal".  Case in
point, the equality functions in core have funny names like "int4eq" and
so on.  Instead, at least in my experience, the overloaded functions
people seem to have in their databases are like do_stuff_to_foobars()
and you have one version for foos and another one for bars.

If you're doing lots of equality functions, surely it would make more
sense to package them up as an extension anyway along with all the other
thingies you need for the type you're supposedly writing.  So it's a
completely different market than what we're aiming at here.

True, very true, I didn't think about that, you are right, I fully agree.
My vote is therefore on the "put all overloaded functions in the same file" variant.