Unable To Modify Table - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Unable To Modify Table
Date
Re: Unable To Modify Table  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Re: Unable To Modify Table  ("David Johnston" <polobo@yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-sql
I seem to have an issue where I can't modify a table due to another
tables foreign key association:

[CODE]trinity=# \d developers        Table "public.developers"   Column    |      Type      | Modifiers
--------------+----------------+-----------id      | character(10)  | not nullname    | character(50)  | not
nulladdress| character(50)  |city    | character(50)  |state   | character(2)   |zip     | character(10)  |country |
character(50) |phone   | character(50)  |email   | character(255) |

Indexes:   "developers_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
Referenced by:   TABLE "orders" CONSTRAINT "fk_orders_developers" FOREIGN KEY (id)
REFERENCES developers(id)
[/CODE]

Now I want to change the formatting of field data in 'id' in table 'developers':

[CODE]trinity=# SELECT id FROM developers;    id
------------100000000110000000021000000003100000000410000000051000000006
(109 rows)
[/CODE]

Now when I try and change the values before I alter the field TYPE, I
get an error that another table (orders) with a foreign key associated
with public.developers 'id' field still has old values therefor can't
change / modify the 'developers' table.

[CODE]trinity=# UPDATE developers SET id = '1000' WHERE id = '1000000001';
ERROR:  update or delete on table "developers" violates foreign key
constraint "fk_orders_developers" on table "orders"
DETAIL:  Key (id)=(1000000001) is still referenced from table "orders".
[/CODE]

How does one accomplish my goal? Is this difficult to change or once
that foreign key is created, are you stuck with that particular
constraint?