Display Length Between Var & Varchar - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Display Length Between Var & Varchar
Date
List pgsql-sql
I've noticed when I set a field to char, it takes up lots of space over varchar:

iamunix=# SELECT * FROM music;id |       band        |          album           |    date    |                 asin
                  |    label

----+-------------------+--------------------------+------------+----------------------------------------------------+--------------
1| Dance Gavin Dance | Downtown Battle Mountain | 2007-05-15 |

B000OQF4PQ                                         | Rise Records
(1 row)

iamunix=# SELECT * FROM music;id |       band        |          album           |    date    |
asin    |    label
DowntownBattle Mountain | 2007-05-15 |

B000OQF4PQ | Rise Records
(1 row)

I don't know how well it will show in plain text via email but does
anyone know why the field display width is wasted with so much white
space when set to char?