Re: Role Authentication Failure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlos Mennens
Subject Re: Role Authentication Failure
Date
Re: Role Authentication Failure
List pgsql-general
I dropped both roles (Carlos & DBA) from the database and I will show
you exactly what I'm doing:

postgres=# \du
                             List of roles
 Role name |                   Attributes                   | Member of
-----------+------------------------------------------------+-----------
 chris     | Create DB, Replication                         | {}
 postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {}

I am creating the new roles as the 'postgres' database user:

postgres=# CREATE ROLE carlos LOGIN CREATEDB CREATEROLE REPLICATION;
CREATE ROLE

postgres=# CREATE ROLE dba NOLOGIN;
CREATE ROLE

postgres=# \du
                             List of roles
 Role name |                   Attributes                   | Member of
-----------+------------------------------------------------+-----------
 carlos    | Create role, Create DB, Replication            | {}
 chris     | Create DB, Replication                         | {}
 dba       | Cannot login                                   | {}
 postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {}

I was curious what happens when I used 'CREATE GROUP' versus 'CREATE
ROLE' so I gave it a shot but looks like it is the same:

postgres=# CREATE GROUP web;
CREATE ROLE

postgres=# \du
                             List of roles
 Role name |                   Attributes                   | Member of
-----------+------------------------------------------------+-----------
 carlos    | Create role, Create DB, Replication            | {}
 chris     | Create DB, Replication                         | {}
 dba       | Cannot login                                   | {}
 postgres  | Superuser, Create role, Create DB, Replication | {}
 web       | Cannot login                                   | {}

postgres=# \password carlos
Enter new password:
Enter it again:

Now I login as 'carlos':