Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Tubbs
Subject Re: unexpected PQresultStatus: 8 with simple logical replication
Date
List pgsql-general
That's working!  The blog posts I linked earlier made me think that I had to explicitly call START_REPLICATION, but I guess that's not necessary?

For anyone else following this thread, I found some better examples at http://pgci.eisentraut.org/jenkins/job/postgresql_master_world/Documentation/logicaldecoding-example.html.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 4:48 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM, Brent Tubbs <brent.tubbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> psql "dbname=postgres replication=database user=postgres" -c
> "START_REPLICATION SLOT foobar LOGICAL 0/D9C59A28"
> unexpected PQresultStatus: 8
psql is not smart enough to understand that with a replication connection..

> Advice?
You should use pg_logical_slot_peek_changes or
pg_logical_slot_get_changes to grab changes from a replication slot
using psql. If you are looking at something at a lower level, have a
look at pg_recvlogical as an example of logical change receiver. It is
a good start point as well if your goal is to implement your own
receiver.

In any case, the documentation provides some examples:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/logicaldecoding-example.html
--
Michael