Crash on Database Reconnect - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Thangalin
Subject Crash on Database Reconnect
Date
Re: Crash on Database Reconnect  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
List pgadmin-support
Hi,

* Platform - Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
* Language - English
* Distribution - binary
* Version - 1.14.3 (June 2012, rev; REL-1_14_3) (Note: Help >> About
should allow the user to copy the version number...)

Reproduce Crash
1. Connect to a VPN
2. Connect to a database over the VPN
3. Drill down and select a table
4. Open a SQL window
5. Type in a select statement (e.g., select * from an_existing_table_name)
6. Press F5 to execute the select statement
7. Disconnect the VPN
8. Reconnect the VPN
9. Press F5 to execute the select statement
10. Confirm reconnect.

You should see:

********** Error **********

Connection reset.

11. Press F5 again. (This might -- or might not -- run the query
successfully. This is the crash point.)
12. Disconnect the VPN
13. Reconnect the VPN
14. Repeat until steps 9 to 14 until crash.

I can reproduce a crash in fewer than four VPN connect/disconnect cycles.

Expected Results
No matter how often the database connection is severed (I have a
*very* flaky VPN connection), pgAdmin should reconnect to the database
and continue functioning without locking up or crashing.

Actual Results
Eventually, pgAdmin locks up or crashes.

Related Feature Request
Add a crash handler so that when pgAdmin crashes, it can recover any
code in any SQL window the user had open at the time of crashing. In
other words, never, ever, ever, ever lose user's work. Fortunately, I
hit CTRL+s quite often so I didn't lose much. However, there should be
an option to auto-save (even to a temporary file if no file name is
provided) before executing any SQL statement. Upon recovery pgAdmin
should ask the user whether or not the recovery files should be
reloaded or discarded.

Kindest regards,