Re: Separate HEAP WAL replay logic into its own file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Melanie Plageman
Subject Re: Separate HEAP WAL replay logic into its own file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 9:12 PM Li, Yong <yoli@ebay.com> wrote:

> As a newcomer, when I was walking through the code looking for WAL replay related code, it was relatively easy for me
tofind them for the B-Tree access method because of the “xlog” hint in the file names. It took me a while to find the
samefor the heap access method. When I finally found them (via text search), it was a small surprise. Having different
fileorganizations for different access methods gives me this urge to make everything consistent. I think it will make
iteasier for newcomers, and it will reduce the mental load for everyone to remember that heap replay is inside the
heapam.cnot some “???xlog.c”.

That makes sense. The branch for PG18 has not been cut yet, so I
recommend registering this patch for the July commitfest [1] so it
doesn't get lost.

- Melanie

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/48/