Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases are up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Melanie Plageman
Subject Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases are up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 2, 2024 at 4:26 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> See
>
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ee219ee8c40d88e7a0ef52c3c1b76c90bbd0d164
>
> As usual, please send corrections/comments by Sunday.

For the "Prevent infinite loop in VACUUM" item, I noticed two things

1) In REL_17_STABLE, the behavior is an ERROR -- not an infinite loop.
Perhaps it is not worth mentioning the differing behavior because 17
hasn't GA'd yet, but I just wanted to bring this up since I wasn't
sure of the convention.

2) The note says <command>VACUUM</command>. This issue is, of course,
not limited to explicitly issued vacuum commands (i.e.
autovacuum-initiated vacuums can also encounter it). Again, I don't
know if this matters or what the convention is here.

- Melanie