Re: Remove redundant variable from transformCreateStmt - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amul Sul
Subject Re: Remove redundant variable from transformCreateStmt
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 5:47 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM Amul Sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached patch removes "is_foreign_table" from transformCreateStmt()
> > since it already has cxt.isforeign that can serve the same purpose.
>
> Yeah having that variable as "is_foreign_table" doesn't make sense
> when we have the info in ctx. I'm wondering whether we can do the
> following (like transformFKConstraints). It will be more readable and
> we could also add more comments on why we don't skip validation for
> check constraints i.e. constraint->skip_validation = false in case for
> foreign tables.
>
> bool skip_validation = true;
>     if (IsA(stmt, CreateForeignTableStmt))
>     {
>         cxt.stmtType = "CREATE FOREIGN TABLE";
>         cxt.isforeign = true;
>         skip_validation = false;    ----> <<<add comments here>>>
>     }
> transformCheckConstraints(&cxt, skip_validation);
>
> Alternatively, we could also remove skipValidation function parameter
> (since transformCheckConstraints is a static function, I think it's
> okay) and modify transformCheckConstraints, then we can do following:
>
> In transformCreateStmt:
> if (!ctx.isforeign)
>   transformCheckConstraints(&ctx);
>
> In transformAlterTableStmt: we can remove transformCheckConstraints
> entirely because calling transformCheckConstraints with skipValidation
> = false does nothing and has no value. This way we could save a
> function call.
>
> I prefer removing the skipValidation parameter from
> transformCheckConstraints. Others might have different opinions.

Then we also need to remove the transformCheckConstraints() dummy call
from transformAlterTableStmt() which was added for the readability.
Also, this change to transformCheckConstraints() will make it
inconsistent with transformFKConstraints().

I think we shouldn't worry too much about this function call overhead
here since this is a slow utility path, and that is the reason the
current structure doesn't really bother me.

Regards,
Amul