Re: prevent immature WAL streaming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amul Sul
Subject Re: prevent immature WAL streaming
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 6:41 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On 2021-Oct-07, Amul Sul wrote:

> While reading this commit (ff9f111bce24), wondered can't we skip
> missingContrecPtr global variable declaration and calculate that from
> abortedRecPtr value whenever it needed. IIUC, missingContrecPtr is the
> calculated as "abortedRecPtr + (XLOG_BLCKSZ - (abortedRecPtr %
> XLOG_BLCKSZ))", thoughts? Please correct me if I'm missing something,
> thanks.

I don't think that works -- what if the missing record is not on the
that starts on segment 1, covers all of segment 2 and ends in segment 3.
We could have flushed segment 2 already, so with your idea we would skip
ahead only to that position, but really we need to skip all the way to
the first page of segment 3.

This is easier to imagine if you set wal segment size to 1 MB, but it is
possible with the default segment size too, since commit records can be
arbitrarily large, and "logical message" records as well.

Make sense, thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
Amul
--