Re: Query regarding selectDumpableExtension() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From amul sul
Subject Re: Query regarding selectDumpableExtension()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
wrote:<br/> ><br /> > amul sul <<a href="mailto:sulamul@gmail.com">sulamul@gmail.com</a>> writes:<br />
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Robert Haas <<a
href="mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com">robertmhaas@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > >> There's a comment in
dumpExtension()that explains it.<br /> ><br /> > > Let me explain the case I'm trying to tackle. I have two
olddump<br /> > > data, each of them have couple objects depend on plpgsql. I have<br /> > > restored first
dumpand trying restore second dump using 'pg_restore<br /> > > -c' command, it is failing with following
Thisis hardly specific to extensions.  If you try a restore with -c into<br /> > a database that has other random
objectsbesides what's in the dump, you<br /> > could get errors from<br /> > * dropping tables that are
referencedby foreign keys from tables not<br /> >   known in the dump<br /> > * dropping functions that are used
inviews not known in the dump<br /> > * dropping operators or opclasses used by indexes not known in the dump<br />
>etc etc.<br /> ><br /> > > Works well without '-c' option, but that what not a general solution, IMHO.<br
/>><br /> > The general solution is either don't restore into a database containing<br /> > unrelated objects,
orbe prepared to ignore errors from the DROP commands.<br /> > The extension case actually works more smoothly than
mostof the others.<br /> ><p dir="ltr">Thanks for your explanation, I agree that this is not a single scenario where
weneed special care, but still my question stands there, why do we really need to dump built-in extension?<p
dir="ltr">Ofcourse you could ask, why not? And my answer will be same, "to placate pg_restore at least in the case I've
mobiledevice. Please excuse brevity and tpyos.