Re: [PROPOSAL] : Use of ORDER BY clause in insert.sql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amul Sul
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] : Use of ORDER BY clause in insert.sql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 10:28 AM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2022 at 16:51, Amul Sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 6:54 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > > Please be specific about the circumstances in which the output is
> > > unstable for you.  With zero information to go on, it seems about as
> > > likely that this change is masking a bug as that it's a good idea.
> > >

> > At the first glance, I thought the patch is pretty much obvious, and
> > we usually add an ORDER BY clause to ensure stable output.
>
> Unfortunately, you'll need to do better than that. We're not in the
> business of accepting patches with zero justification for why they're
> required. If you're not willing to do the analysis on why the order
> changes sometimes, why should we accept your patch?

Unfortunately the test is not failing at me. Otherwise, I would have
done that analysis. When I saw the patch for the first time, somehow,
I didn't think anything spurious due to my misconception that we
usually add the ORDER BY clause for the select queries just to be
sure.

> If you can't find the problem then you should modify insert.sql to
> EXPLAIN the problem query to see if the plan has changed between the
> passing and failing run. The only thing that comes to mind about why
> this test might produce rows in a different order would be if a
> parallel Append was sorting the subpaths by cost (See
> create_append_path's call to list_sort) and the costs were for some
> reason coming out differently sometimes. It's hard to imagine why this
> query would be parallelised though. If you show us the EXPLAIN from a
> passing and failing run, it might help us see the problem.

Understood.

> > If we
> > are too sure that the output usually comes in the same order then the
> > ORDER BY clause that exists in other tests seems useless. I am a bit
> > confused & what could be a possible bug?
>
> You can't claim that if this test shouldn't get an ORDER BY that all
> tests shouldn't have an ORDER BY. That's just crazy. What if the test
> is doing something like testing sort?!

That I can understand that the sorted output doesn't need further
sorting. I am just referring to the simple SELECT queries that do not
have any sorting.

Thanks & Regards,
Amul